Re: [tempest] what is a proper way to install a package into a vm instance spawned by tempest?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Mar 23 15:23:48 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Roman Safronov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a tempest test
> <https://review.opendev.org/#/c/710975/https://review.opendev.org/#/c/710975/)> which requires keepalived to be running inside vm instance.
> The test tries to install keepalived package inside vm by running "apt
> install/yum install".
> However as I see in upstream gates logs this does not work while the
> same code works perfectly in our downstream CI using the same image.
>
> Do vm instances spawned on upstream gates during tests have a route to
> the internet?
> Is there an alternative way that I can use in order to install a
> package?

By default the tempest jobs use a cirros image. This is a very small, quick to boot linux without a package manager. If you need services to be running in the image typically you'll need to boot a more typical linux installation. Keep in mind that nested virt isn't on by default as it isn't available everywhere and has been flaky in the past. This makes these types of installations very small which may make reliable VRRP testing difficult.

Thinking out loud here, I'm not sure how much benefit there is to testing VRRP failures in this manner. Do we think that OpenStack sitting on top of libvirt and OVS will somehow produce different results with VRRP than using those tools as is? To put this another way: are we testing OpenStack or are we testing OVS and libvirt?

One option here may be to construct this as a Neutron functional test and run VRRP on Neutron networks without virtualization mixed in.