[all] Re: review.opendev.org Downtime March 20, 2020 at 1400UTC

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Mar 20 14:48:27 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 14:28 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-03-20 14:14:57 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
> > on a related note i noticed i was getting different contenent from
> > https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova and
> > ssh://sean-k-mooney@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git
> > last week.
> >
> > these were my remotes in my nove repo
> > gerrit	ssh://sean-k-mooney@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git (fetch)
> > gerrit	ssh://sean-k-mooney@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git (push)
> > origin	https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova (fetch)
> > origin	https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova (push)
>
> I definitely don't recommend cloning from review.o.o, better to rely
> on https://opendev.org/openstack/nova	 in your origin remotes.
ya i normally set it up against either github or https://opendev.org/openstack/nova
the review.o.o is much larger and take up way more space on disk so i normally avoid
it but i think i origianly create this repo usign gertty for reviews.

this was on my local laptop and i normally only use that repo for doing quick fixes.

> > the gerrit remote when i did a fetch was up to date with
> > https://opendev.org/openstack/nova and with
> > https://github.com/openstack/nova but
> > https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova was behind both of
> > them by a few hours maybe a day i dont rememeber but i just
> > remember tinking it was odd.
>
> That https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/nova URL is "just
> another replica" like opendev.org and github.com (the /p is directed
> to a local copy Gerrit is replicating to a local copy on the
> server's filesystem).
>
> > is this somethign ye were aware of that could happen? it was if
> > the redirect from review.openstack.org was pointing an out of sync
> > gerrit backend.
>
> [...]
>
> Gerrit can't guarantee consistency for its replication tasks, so it
> can certainly happen. I think we had plans to remove that /p replica
> anyway (it's going to potentially conflict with some URLs for newer
> Gerrit versions), but generally if you notice a discrepancy between
> ssh://sean-k-mooney@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova.git
> and https://opendev.org/openstack/nova do let us know, we've been
> trying to get on top of a race condition in our Gitea updates where
> Gerrit will silently fail to replicate refs to some of the servers
> while they're in the middle of restarting.

ya if i notice an issue between those too ill let you know but in generall
they seam to mostly be in sync.