[python-openstackclient] --force bug

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 14:59:11 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 16:19 +0530, jayaditya gupta wrote:
> Hello all, new contributor/developer here. I have just submitted a bug for
> python-openstackclient project :
> https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2007440
>
> I am not sure how to provide --force option to openstackclient ..
>
> I am comparing quota.py files in nova-client and in openstackclient.but
> can't seem to understand how to provide --force option. Any suggestions?

at leas when it comes to some nova action we intentionally do not want to support --force
for thing like migration
specifcally for live migration we removed --force in microversion 2.68
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/api-microversion-history.html#id62
so since osc never supported --force we dont want it to be enabled.

for "openstack quota set" i dont think we have specifically disucced if we want to support --force
before.
we deprecated the proxing of quotas via nova in micro-version 2.36
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/api-microversion-history.html#microversion

2.39 https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/api-microversion-history.html#id36
2.50 https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/api-microversion-history.html#id46
2.57 https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/api-microversion-history.html#id53
also modifed quotas in different ways.

non of these microversion remove the force parameter like we did with live migration so it hink it would
be valid to add support for --force.

however nova and keystone are currently working on removing support for nova based quotas using the unified
limits proposal

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ussuri/approved/unified-limits-nova.html
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/ongoing/unified-limits.html

so i dont know if we have disucsed how that will impact the openstack clint and if we will deprecate
"openstack quota set" and intoduce a "openstack limit set" to interact with the new api or if we will
use a microverion but maintain the same cli.

i dont know if the unified limits api will support a force paramater. i hope its not nessisary to have a force paramter
with the new design so while there is no conflict i am awere of wehre exposing --force might encurage usage that the
nova team does not want opertors to do, im not sure it would be consitent with the future direction.

so tentative +0.5 from me in terms of closing the gap for older openstack releases
but i think it would be good to have the unified limit folks also way in on if it should
be added and how that will interact with the current planned changes.