OpenStack support for msgpack 1.0.0

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Mar 17 17:48:29 UTC 2020

On 3/14/20 5:23 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 20-03-14 22:52:45, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> msgpack 1.0.0 was released last Sept. I'm being pressed by the rest of
>> Debian people to upload 1.0.0 to Sid. I'm concern by it: will this break
>> any of the OpenStack package, like oslo.messaging? Is there any plan to
>> have support for 1.0.0 for Ussuri?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
>>

> Openstack depends on salt
> Salt capped msgpack to not allow 1.0.0
>    https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/56009
> Openstack can't use msgpack-1.0.0
>    this makes me sad
>    iirc openstack tests passed with it, I just made a review to test
>      https://review.opendev.org/713113
>
> When I mentioned this to upstream salt people they said it'd be in a
> future release, I'd project after the openstack release (it's not part
> of 3000.1 which is being preparred now).

For convenience, here's the search for projects that explicitly depend
on msgpack and might also be affected by this:
http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=msgpack&i=nope&files=requirements.txt&repos=

For Oslo, it looks like the only changes we need should be in
oslo.privsep[0]. oslo.serialization already got updated for it, and tooz
has been running tests without upper-constraints all along so we've been
using it there since it released. :-/

0: https://review.opendev.org/713496