Not running for TC this round

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 16 14:36:03 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I've been elected on the TC (or its previous incarnations) since we had
community-elected seats in that body (2011). However, as announced
during the previous election round (and in the discussion about reducing
the number of TC seats) I do not plan to run for the TC in the upcoming
election round.

There are multiple reasons for this. The main one is that with name
recognition and a Condorcet voting system, it's relatively easy for
incumbents to be reelected. We only elect 5 seats this time, so I think
it's important to make room for new names to step up.

The second reason is that I'd like more people with an operational
background to be present on the TC. I think we can simplify our
governance by having a single elected body handling the open source
project, rather than maintain separate representation for users and
developers. As we get more people bringing operational perspective to
the TC, that simplification will be even more obvious.

The final reason is that I've always been saying that you can work on
governance issues and voice your opinion on them, without being elected
on the TC and formally voting on things. It's time for me to walk that
talk. I do not intend to go anywhere, and I'll be as present as always
in proposing the OpenStack governance changes that I deem needed in this
day and age.

I'll finish this email by encouraging anyone interested in open source
project governance, or wanting to help shape the next chapter of the
OpenStack story, to step up and run for TC election. As for all
governance bodies, the experience can be frustrating, as you'd like to
fix more things but there is only so much you can do. But it's a great
experience, one that I recommend everyone working on open source project
should have. The only prerequisite is an interest and care for
"OpenStack" as a whole. No specific experience or diploma needed. If you
wonder if you can do it, the answer is yes.

Nominations[1] open up March 24. Please consider running, especially if
you have operational experience with some cycles to spare. If you have
any questions on the job, feel free to reach out to me -- you know where
to find me.

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/election/

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)