[Tempest] OpenSack Powered * vs OpeStack Compatible

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sun Mar 15 17:19:07 UTC 2020

 ---- On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 02:57:02 -0500 prakash RAMCHANDRAN <pramchan at yahoo.com> wrote ----
 > Mark,
 > it took me some time to get up to speed and a thank you for your thoroughful brief on the subject.
 > Like to add few more questions before we get on call to see where we go from here.
 > 5th  Area for Interoperability: Should we add latest kubernetes API testing to Tempest or adapt third party Open Source  tool to achieve K8S API compliance.

Tempest provides the plugin framework where you can write the k8s API testing. I remember that there was a proposal for
a container testing tempest plugin. Or I will say check the existing tooling if that works for example: e2e testing[1].

As mentioned earlier, If you want to tests OpenStack APIs then how it is deployed ( either on k8s cluster) does not matter and Tempest existing test will work as it is.

 > Motivation :
 > A. Would Like Open Infrastructure project to align in OpenSrack to   kubernetes Cluster API for Containers and containerized workloads.
 > B. The k8s API must have tests to support kubernetes infra on Baremetal and VM.
 > C. Offer or ask each of the Core  services using Container (Docker latest) to an  internal  test for CRI, CNI and CSI certifications.
 > D. Level of Branding will be OpenStack and Kubernetes Dual-Stack certification based o. each of the service modules like Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Ceph or any other of projects within or third party k8s tools that will use to get OpebStack trusted interoperability for kubernetes Infrastructure under Open Infrastructure initiative.
 > This us just the beginning to improve Branding efforts which other community's trust us to be the guides. Let's see if this out of box thinking needs shooting down or should we revive the trailing indicators for adoption and interoperability.
 > Please advice if thusdditiin should be at end user level or can include kubeadmin APIs too?Should we support RBAC options of keystone or strictly start with K8s RBAC support in Keystone to switch between keystone v3 for VMs vs RBAC v? for Containers?
 > Think through as a team and let's see if this helps our concept if Dual-Stack support.
 > Sure we have a bunch of Container projects and they may suggest brownfield options, but stick to Greenfield first before addressing them to fall in line with commo. interoperability area 5 - dual-stack using k8s.
 > How do we setup a Call for Tempest or DefCore team  to review this. Let me have your reply to see if we can get TC members to bring this as response to ask from Thiery for rebooting DefCore Branding efforts.

You can reach out to the Tempest team on #openstack-qa IRC channel or let me know if any other communication channel you would like to discuss.

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/contributors/devel/sig-testing/e2e-tests.md

-gmann