[openstack.org] SEO Improvements

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Mar 14 14:20:29 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-14 14:05:32 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 09:36 -0400, Donny Davis wrote:
[...]
> > It would be really great if when you click the current release
> > is X button at the top of the page it would reload the same doc
> > and just replace the release instead of directing you back to
> > the home page of the doc release.
[...]
> yes althought that is not a SEO thing i think we need to change
> how that baner is create but i basically always ignore it because
> it does not do what i want so removing it entirly or more helpflly
> making it link to the latest verion of the current doc would both
> be greate improvemnts.

The solution to the technical problem is straightforward (even a
simple HTML form element would to the trick), the bigger challenge
is logistical: Content moves around between releases, it's not just
renamed but often gets split or combined too, and lots of times
folks don't think to include redirects from old filenames when they
make major edits like that. All too often when I'm looking something
up in the published HTML copies of our documentation I'll land on
the wrong version, edit the URL to a later release, and get a 404
for that file. Someone (really multiple someones) will need to do a
thorough audit to work out what redirects we missed between previous
releases as well as coming up with ways to better remind folks to
add redirects and maybe leave other breadcrumb trails when making
future changes.
--
Jeremy Stanley