Add pytest, pytest-django and pytest-html to global requirements

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 19:54:36 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 19:42 +0000, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 14:06 -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
> > On 20-03-11 21:01:42, Oleksii Petrenko wrote:
> > > Adding pytest, pytest-django and pytest-html allows import of tests results
> > > in xml, html formats for openstack-horizon. What do you think about this?
> >
> > I think the question is in refrence to using something that is already
> > included in global-requirements (like stestr or something else).
> >
> > Also, here's the review https://review.opendev.org/712315
> >
> > Starting with stestr, could you explain why it was not good enough for
> > your use case?
>
> more of a general question if they are test only deps that wont be used at runtime which i think is the case in all of
> the above do they enven need to be in Global-requirements? ignoring the fact that devstack installes all test-
> requireemtes when it in stall packages which is a different topic if this is only used for generating html report for
> tests then it seams liek we would not need to corrdiate the software version.
>
> that said i am also curious why the normal html report that gets generated form our tox runs in the ci
> is not sufficent. what does pytest-html add? is it just the ablity to do a local html report when you run tox
> manually?
> or do you plan to use pytest-django and pytest-html to do some other testing that you cant currently do?
ah i see that pytest-django will allow the removal of django test which is presuable to adress
https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1866666
based on https://review.opendev.org/#/c/711195/

if hoizong is thinking of moveing away form its current custome test runner
https://github.com/openstack/horizon/blob/stable/pike/manage.py
then stestr should at least be considerd but if there is a valid technical reason to go with pytest instead.
that said as someone that does not work on horizon im supriced its not already using stestr. give it still has a
testr.conf meanign at somepoint it moved a way form testrepostry and to its current custom runner when the other project
moved to os-testr and then to stestr.

that said i kind of like pytest as a test runner and it would solve some other issues with subunit in nova so im not
against adding it.