[kolla][uc] Kolla SIG

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 9 15:40:50 UTC 2020

Mark Goddard wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks for the feedback. I don't particularly mind what we call it -
> if a SIG is not appropriate then that's fine. What I want is to be
> able to include those on the periphery of the community who for a
> variety of reasons are not particularly active upstream. I want to
> provide some way for these people to feel more of a part of the
> community, and if possible help them to become more active. They might
> not have time to sit in #openstack-kolla or attend summits, but an
> hour or two a month is probably something they could commit to.
>
> A big part of the drive behind this is simply gathering a list of
> members. So often we put things on openstack-discuss asking about who
> uses particular features, knowing it mostly goes to the void. Many
> operators simply don't have time to follow it.

I think you can do that from the Kolla project team. You can call it the
Kolla users club and create a number of events around it (virtual or
face-to-face). My point is that you do not need a specific governance
structure to do this.

> When you suggest Ops feedback sessions, do you mean at the summit? My
> view is that we are at the point where that is a fairly exclusive
> club. I'd much rather something virtual with a low barrier to entry.

No, I was just suggesting finding a catchy name for those outreach
activities, one that encourages users to reach out, and make it less
intimidating than joining the IRC meeting for a project team.

--
Thierry