[kolla][uc] Kolla SIG

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon Mar 9 15:05:12 UTC 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 14:45, Amy Marrich <amy at demarco.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I agree with Thierry on this as I think this would cause confusion as well as split focus between two things vs including OPS more with the development. A SiG should bring together people from different projects or different interests together with a common interest. This is solely about Kolla which already has a specific project unlike say the Finance SiG which had users with a common interest of installing OpenStack for financial use.
>
> Have you utilized Forum or BoF sessions at events yet? Or maybe reach out to the OPS Meetup team about including Kolla more at their events?
>
> If I can be of any help let me know,
>
> Amy (spotz)
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 9:33 AM Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>>
>> Mark Goddard wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to propose the creation of a Special Interest Group (SIG) [0]
>> > for Kolla.
>> > [...]
>>
>> I'm a bit skeptical.
>>
>> We have a history of creating a lot of groups and structures. This was
>> very helpful in the early years to cope with the crazy growth of
>> openstack and to capture all the energy sent toward the project. But
>> today we really have too many groups, meetings, channels compared to the
>> number of active people. We still have thousands of contributors, and
>> yet we feel spread thin. So I'm skeptical of creating new groups and/or
>> meetings (at least not without eliminating a number of other
>> groups/meetings as a result).
>>
>> Creation of a Kolla SIG would IMHO duplicate "Kolla" groups, and create
>> a bit of confusion and uncertainty as to what is handled by the Kolla
>> SIG vs. what is handled by the Kolla project team.
>>
>> I'd rather encourage the Kolla project team to directly engage with its
>> users by holding "Ops feedback" sessions and other activities. Basically
>> I'm not sure what the Kolla SIG would do that the Kolla project team
>> cannot currently do...

Thanks for the feedback. I don't particularly mind what we call it -
if a SIG is not appropriate then that's fine. What I want is to be
able to include those on the periphery of the community who for a
variety of reasons are not particularly active upstream. I want to
provide some way for these people to feel more of a part of the
community, and if possible help them to become more active. They might
not have time to sit in #openstack-kolla or attend summits, but an
hour or two a month is probably something they could commit to.

A big part of the drive behind this is simply gathering a list of
members. So often we put things on openstack-discuss asking about who
uses particular features, knowing it mostly goes to the void. Many
operators simply don't have time to follow it.

When you suggest Ops feedback sessions, do you mean at the summit? My
view is that we are at the point where that is a fairly exclusive
club. I'd much rather something virtual with a low barrier to entry.