[kolla][uc] Kolla SIG

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 9 14:32:01 UTC 2020

Mark Goddard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose the creation of a Special Interest Group (SIG) [0]
> for Kolla.
> [...]

I'm a bit skeptical.

We have a history of creating a lot of groups and structures. This was
very helpful in the early years to cope with the crazy growth of
openstack and to capture all the energy sent toward the project. But
today we really have too many groups, meetings, channels compared to the
number of active people. We still have thousands of contributors, and
yet we feel spread thin. So I'm skeptical of creating new groups and/or
meetings (at least not without eliminating a number of other
groups/meetings as a result).

Creation of a Kolla SIG would IMHO duplicate "Kolla" groups, and create
a bit of confusion and uncertainty as to what is handled by the Kolla
SIG vs. what is handled by the Kolla project team.

I'd rather encourage the Kolla project team to directly engage with its
users by holding "Ops feedback" sessions and other activities. Basically
I'm not sure what the Kolla SIG would do that the Kolla project team
cannot currently do...

--
Thierry