Delegating and routing an IPv6 prefix to an instance

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Mon Jun 29 19:55:02 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-29 19:55, Brian Haley wrote:

>> But some sort of pool of "additional" <s>public</s> globally unique
>> prefixes that can be requested, bound and routed to an instance would be
>> nice - kinda like
>> https://www.terraform.io/docs/providers/openstack/r/compute_floatingip_v2.html#example-usage
>>
>> .
>
> We made a conscious decision to not support floating IPv6 in the base
> reference implementation, although it is available in one of the
> third-party drivers (Midonet?).  Making the tenant IPv6 subnets
> reachable directly was instead the goal, which happens when PD is used.

I suppose you are talking about this fip64 feature -
https://docs.midonet.org/docs/latest-en/operations-guide/content/fip64.html
// https://docs.openstack.org/networking-midonet/latest/user/features.html ?

Just in case there might be a misunderstanding in what I described ...
"floating ip" for IPv4 would translate to "floating prefix" (out of a
pool, with a limit on the number of those a tenant might use/request) in
my suggested case and the routing sending the traffic of that prefix to
an interface.
Certainly no single ipv6 addresses / 128 shall be "floating" around or
be mapped to a fixed IPv4 to make things even more complicated.

It's just a about being able to provide an instance with a global prefix
of its own to do networky things.

>> What would be the process of getting such a feature into a working
>> specification in case one was interested in implementing this?
>
> It's outlined in the neutron docs, but basically it starts with a bug
> describing the feature you'd like to add, it's then discussed at a
> weekly meeting each Friday.
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/ussuri/contributor/policies/blueprints.html
>

> -Brian

Thanks for that immediate pointer.
I shall be discussing this with some folks here and might get back to
writing one of those blueprints.

Regards

Christian