[horizon] patternfly?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 26 13:08:34 UTC 2020

Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
> [...]
> Thank you for your helpful comment, however you seem to be
> misunderstanding the situation. Nobody is going to be doing any reviews
> of available frameworks or selecting them. If you want a Horizon
> replacement to be written in a particular framework, you can simply sit
> down and write it in that framework, it's that simple. Nobody is going
> to tell you what to use, the choice is entirely yours. Conversely, if
> you don't want to write the code, then telling the people who want to
> write it what to use is pretty pointless, especially since there doesn't
> seem to be any such people around.

I agree that the first step is to form a group of volunteers interested
in working on such a new project. That group can discuss their scope and
objectives, then which framework is the best match for their skills and
goals.

Historically we have struggled to attract JS developers into the
OpenStack community, our core being Python-based. We've had the same
issue for years attracting developers to help improve Storyboard, after
its original JS developer left (amusingly enough, after having pushed an
Angular rewrite over the original Django app).

 From the outside of this hypothetical team, the Horizon team says that
it will continue to maintain the distro-friendly Django-based Horizon
code, and that as a team it has no interest/bandwidth in driving a
rewrite internally. That means a new team needs to form up (even if
obviously some people can be member of both teams).

Now from the outside of this hypothetical new team, the TC can say if it
supports the idea of a more-JS-native harder-to-package framework and
would gladly add it the list of official OpenStack project teams as an
alternative solution to Horizon. That may encourage some to step up.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)