[all][tc][stable][qa] Grenade testing for Extended Maintenance stable

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Jun 23 16:16:21 UTC 2020

---- On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 13:17:26 -0500 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
 > Hello Everyone,
 >
 > As you know devstack (so does grenade) got broken due to uwsgi new release, the master branch is fixed
 > and stable branches are in progress[1]. But It is hard to maintain or fix the EM stable for those issues. Especially
 > the greande job which depends on the source branch (previous branch of one where the job is running).
 > For example, for stein grenade job, we need to keep rocky branch working and fix if failure.
 >
 > Till now, we have not removed the grenade testing from any of the EM stable branches because they
 > were running fine till now but with uwsgi issues, those are failing and need more work to fix. This triggers
 > the discussion of grenade testing on EM stable branches.
 >
 > Usual policy for grenade testing is to keep the job running from the 'oldest supported stable +1' branch.
 > For example, if stein is the oldest supported stable (in the old stable definition) then run grenade from train onwards.
 > But with the Extended Maintainance model, defining 'oldest supported stable' is not clear whether it is the oldest
 > non-EM(stein) or oldest EM stable(ocata).
 >
 > To make it clear, we discussed this in the QA channel and come up with the below proposal.
 >
 > * 'oldest' is the oldest non-EM. In current time, it is stein.
 > * With the above 'oldest' definition, we will:
 > ** Make grenade jobs as n-v on all EM stable branches (which is till stable/rocky as of today) + on stable/stein also because that is 'oldest' as of today.
 > ** Keep supporting and running grenade job on 'oldest+1' which is stable/train onwards as of today.
 >
 > NOTE: we will make n-v when they start failing and anyone can volunteer to fix them and change back to voting.
 > elod expressed interest to work on current failure.
 >
 > If no objection to the above proposal, I will document it on the grenade documents to follow it whenever we see EM failing and need more work.
 > In Tempest, we already have the EM stable testing policy documented which is to support those till they run fine[2].

I have pushed the patches making grenade jobs non-voting on stable/stein[1]. With that patch merge in your project, it will bring
back the stable/stein onwards gate green. Once '<= stable/rocky] gate is up you can backport these grenade-n-v patches.

Also, I am documenting the process in grenade for future reference.
- https://review.opendev.org/#/c/736866/

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:grenade-em-nv+(status:open+OR+status:merged)

-gmann