[tc][uc] Status update: Uniting TC and UC

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 23 12:35:52 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

A quick status update on that effort. The TC just merged a change[1]
that will result in the TC and UC acting as a single body, starting on
August 1st, 2020.

The date was chosen so that the remaining UC members (Mohamed Elsakhawy
and Jaesuk Anh) can finish their term. After that date, the UC mission
will be taken over by the elected TC members, and from there on we'll
have a single elected body, including developers, operators and end
users of the OpenStack software, and inclusive of all types of
contributions to the project.

In August I'll work to merge the content on the UC governance site and
the TC governance site. This will include adding a new file on
openstack/governance to add and track voters corresponding to the AUC
criteria. Those will be added to the electorate in time for the next
round of elections in September.

This simplification will make the OpenStack community more easily
navigable, and further remove barriers between contributors with an
operations background and contributors with a development background.
For more information on the motivations behind that change, please read
the original thread[2] proposing it.

I'd like to personally thank the User Committee members for their
support in that transition, and for all the work they accomplished for
OpenStack in the past.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/734074/
[3]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-February/012806.html