[tc][election] campaign discussion: how TC can solve the less contributor issue?

Adam Peacock alawson at aqorn.com
Tue Jun 23 00:33:43 UTC 2020

OpenStack architect for almost 10 years putting in my two cents after
stumbling across this thread searching for something else.

I think there is a missed opportunity here that isn't being addressed which
is: why are companies moving away from OpenStack to begin with. The
question that should be asked is not how do we revamp documentation or how
to add more contributors but rather what this community can do to draw them
back. By failing to attract customers with a platform technology that is
easily consumable and understandable, it's akin to brainstorming new
flavors of cough syrup while failing to address the underlying sickness.

To be perfectly blunt, my feeling is if the TC cannot solve for or drive
towards easing/addressing OpenStack's technical challenges that drive away
customers/inhibit adoption overall then I honestly question the value of
having a TC in the first place. This should be central to their charter and
it's my view so far they've failed in that regard.

As one who gets annoyed with criticism without alternatives, I believe we
can resolve the contributor issue with some focus in a few keys areas and
none of these suggestions involves trying to attract them directly:

   - Prioritize a simplified installer with minimal inputs that gets a
   platform online on a simple form factor with minimal dependencies and an
   abundance of assumptions.
   - Revisit the charter of the TC which needs a serious rework since we
   should *all* be highly dissatisfied given their past tendency to
   maintain the status quo.
   - Revisit what enterprises need and how they're leveraging cloud. If we
   aren't listening to why folks are leaving we will continue producing
   increasingly-irrelevant software. Trust me, if we don't solve our problems
   in this regard, someone else will and OpenStack will be just another
   could-have-been technology that failed to watch, listen and adapt.

If we solve for *why *companies are abandoning OpenStack -- both as
corporate contributors and as consumers -- getting contributors will just
be a by-product of that success. But not before.

//adam

*Adam Peacock*

Principal Architect
Office: +1-916-794-5706