[horizon] patternfly?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 10:52:55 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-06-22 at 16:42 +1200, Adrian Turjak wrote:
> Thomas, I think that's something that downstream maintainers will
> eventually need to seriously consider and figure out, because any modern
> front end service these days will end up being built with npm pieces,
> and various js libraries.
well not nessisarly you are assuming the only way to build a moderen frontend is
via javascript. there are valid alternitives like dart/typescript for frontends.
django is still a vlaid choice too alsthough to play devils advocate the same
packaging proble that exitsts with js and npm once existed with python and pip
but over time distros have packaged python dependcies. im not that famialr with
npm and ho prolific the random dependencies might be any web dev i have done has
been based on php and dart weher we had few dependcies most of which were free standing
so i have never looked at an npm based project with lot and lots of deps, that just sounds
like poor engnierring but both concerns are valid. e.g. not being able to use a modern tool
set and the packaging of the same.
>  Horizon is sadly a terrible example of a
> 'modern' front end service, and it will either need to eventually pivot
> to being a JS based front end, or replaced by one.
i think part of the larger problem would be porting all the existing horizon plugins for the differnt
services like manila or octavia that our outside of horizon core, also from a donw stream product perspective
horizon is proably the component with the least investment and while we have a theme that is applied to
give it a RedHat look and feel i dont think porting that to work with a new js based implemation would
be high on our product teams backlog so if the burden was too high it could even bring into question if
its worth continuting to maintain in a downstream product.

> The mindset of excluding or avoiding npm dependencies will cripple any
> attempt at any serious javascript development, and given the modern web
> is all JS interfaces, that doesn't particularly bode well for OpenStack
> from a visual interface perspective if the mindset is very anti-js. :(

well to a certin degree if you are using horizon as your way to deploy application and manage them
one openstack you are doing it wrong. you really should be automaing it with ansible or something else
on the other hand i use horizon daliy when im doing dev because im lazy and while i know how to use the cli
i often just fell like using the gui to quickly launch the test vms because my terminal are monitoring logs
and i dont feel like opening yet another ssh seesion.

so dont get me wrong i am glad horizon exits but my requirements for it are basicly that its fast even on broswer that
are running over ssh forwarding from a vm with no gpu accleration. it shoudl provie a clean workflow to just boot a vm
and perferm simple admin task like creating flavor and image or live migration. the current version of horizon more or
less does that.