[Image-Encryption] current state

Josephine Seifert josephine.seifert at secustack.com
Fri Jun 19 11:46:35 UTC 2020

Hi from the image-encryption-popupteam,

we would like to provide a summary of what happened during the last year:

1. Secret Consumers in Barbican [1]

As a foundation for the image encryption - and to not accidentally
delete a secret, which is still in use - the Barbican team implemented
the secret consumers. Their is still some work ongoing for the API part.
We will use this feature whenever a image will be encrypted.

2. Specs

We wrote Specs to describe, what we Image Encryption is and how it would
affect Glance, Cinder and Nova.

The Cinder spec got merged [2] . The Glance spec is still being reviewed
[3]. And the nova spec is abandoned [4].

Nova is currently not part anymore, because of a missing ephemeral
storage encryption needed for a coherent security mode.

3. WIP-patches

We implemented two WIP-patches to let Glance devs get a better idea of
how image encryption is affecting Glance. We provided a patch for Glance
[5] and one for os-brick [6], which handles the encryption and
decryption of images.

[1]
https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/barbican+secret-consumer
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/608663/
[3] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/609667/11
[4] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/608696/
[5] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/705445/
[6] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/709432/

We appreciate reviews on the spec and the WIP-patches.

greetings
Josephine (Luzi) & Markus (mhen)