[all][release] One following-cycle release model to bind them all

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 12 09:16:11 UTC 2020

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> As you know[1] I'm trying to push toward simplification of OpenStack
> processes, to make them easier to navigate for new members of our
> community and generally remove weight. A good example of that is release
> models. [...]

After having discussed this here and in several IRC discussions, there
appears to still be enough cases warranting keeping two cycle-tied
models (one with RCs and a round version number, the other strictly
following semver). The simplification gains may not be worth disrupting
long-established habits and tweaking all our validation toolchain.

Instead, I'll work on improving documentation to guide new deliverables
in this choice, and reduce corner cases and exceptions.

Thanks for entertaining the idea and reaching out. Periodically
reconsidering why we do things the way we do them is healthy, and avoids
cargo-culting processes forever.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)