[cyborg][neutron][nova] Networking support in Cyborg

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 13:43:30 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-06-11 at 12:24 +0000, Nadathur, Sundar wrote:
> Hi Sean,

that is not how that works.

when you create a neutron network with segmenation type vlan or flat it
is automatically assigned a segmeantion_id and phsynet.
As an admin you can chose both but as a tenant this is managed by neutron

ignoring the multiprovidernet for a second all vlan and flat network have 1
phyesnet and the port get a phsynet form the network it is created on.

the multiprovidernet extension allow a singlel neutron provider network to have multiple
physnets but nova does not support that today.

so nova can get the physnet from the port/network/segment and incorporate that in the placment request
but we cant pass it in during port creation.

in general tenants are not aware of physnets.

> > > [...]
> > > * We discussed the physnet trait at the PTG. My suggestion is to keep
> > > Cyborg out of this, and out of networking in general, if possible.
> >
> > well this feature is more or less the opisite of that intent but i get that you
> > dont want cyborg to have to confiure the networking atribute of the interface.
>
> The admin could apply the trait to the right RP. Or, the OpenStack installer could automate this. That's similar in
> spirit to having the admin configure the physnet in PCI whitelist.
yes they could its not a partially good user experience as it quite tedious to do but yes it a viable option and likely
sufficnet for the initial work. installer could automate it but having to do it manually would not be ideal.