[all][release] One following-cycle release model to bind them all

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 10 17:05:32 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-10 17:33:55 +0100 (+0100), Mark Goddard wrote:
[...]
> I think the issue is that currently there is a period of time in
> which every project has a release candidate which can be packaged
> and tested, prior to the release. In the new model there is no
> obligation to release anything prior to GA, and I expect most
> teams would not.

You and I clearly read very different proposals then. My
understanding is that this does not get rid of the period of time
you're describing, just changes the tags we use in it:

[Excerpt from Thierry's original post yesterday...]

> > The "final" release would be marked by creating a release
> > (stable) branch, and that would need to be done before a
> > deadline. Like today, that deadline depends on whether that
> > deliverable is a library, a client library, a release-trailing
> > exception or just a regular part of the common release.
> >
> > The main change this proposal introduces would be to stop having
> > release candidates at the end of the cycle. Instead we would
> > produce a release, which would be a candidate for inclusion in
> > the coordinated OpenStack release.

For service projects, that "deadline" he talks about would be the
start of the traditional RC period, we just wouldn't use special rc1
tags for branching at that point, we'd use actual version numbers to
branch from. I think the proposal has probably confused some folks
by saying, "stop having release candidates [...and instead have a]
candidate for inclusion in the coordinated OpenStack release." It
would basically still be a "release candidate" in spirit, just not
in name, and not using the same tagging scheme as we have
traditionally used for release candidates of service projects.
--
Jeremy Stanley