[nova] running nova-scheduler in a container

Jean-Philippe Méthot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Fri Jun 5 16:33:01 UTC 2020

Hi,

I’ve been building my own docker images as a mean to both learn docker and to see if we can make our own images and run them in production. I’ve figured out how to make most services run fairly well. However, an issue remains with nova-scheduler and I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on.

Essentially, when I try to create a VM it loops in a scheduling state and when I try to delete a VM, it loops forever in a deleting state. I’ve narrowed down the culprit to nova-scheduler. As far as I know, nothing appears in the debug logs of my containerized nova-scheduler whenever I do any kind of action, which forces me to believe that nova-scheduler is not receiving any command.

From what I’ve always understood, nova-scheduler works through RPC and Rabbitmq. The fact that this nova-scheduler connects to rabbitmq without issue makes me believe that something else is missing from my container configuration.

Does Nova-scheduler listen on network port? Does it listen on a socket? Is there any way that nova-scheduler could ignore requests sent to it?

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Senior Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack sénior
PlanetHoster inc.