[ops][ptg] Virtual Ops Meetup at the PTG

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 3 22:49:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-03 17:29:42 -0400 (-0400), Erik McCormick wrote:
[...]
> we managed a meeting of 20 people max (17 average) with no
> reported issues. Most of us kept our video off and that seemed to
> keep things running nice and smooth. I think most had the etherpad
> up on the screen a lot anyway, so didn't need video so much. All
> in all I think it was a very positive experience.
[...]

Thanks for the feedback! We're definitely still hoping to better
tune things, including talking to some other free/libre open source
software communities who are running similar services to see if we
can share and pool expertise in this area. We've made a couple of
minor changes today during a break between sessions, but anyone with
interest or experience in Jitsi-Meet is welcome to pitch in and help
us polish it (our deployment automation and configuration is all in
public Git repositories on opendev.org and driven by Zuul jobs).

Unfortunately a lot of the video performance and CPU consumption has
to do with how browsers have implemented their support for WebRTC
API and standards, so will depend on browser maintainers improving
efficiency to solve some of the user experience challenges. Seems
video has been working well for small teams and people blessed with
suitable hardware acceleration, but larger groups are best off just
switching to "low bandwidth" mode and going audio-only for now (that
doesn't block the shared Etherpad document).
--
Jeremy Stanley