[tripleo][ci] container pulls failing

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 13:20:17 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 7:13 AM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 5:27 PM Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> FYI...
>>
>> If you find your jobs are failing with an error similar to [1], you have been rate limited by docker.io via the upstream mirror system and have hit [2].  I've been discussing the issue w/ upstream infra, rdo-infra and a few CI engineers.
>>
>> There are a few ways to mitigate the issue however I don't see any of the options being completed very quickly so I'm asking for your patience while this issue is socialized and resolved.
>>
>> For full transparency we're considering the following options.
>>
>> 1. move off of docker.io to quay.io
>

> quay.io also has API rate limit:
> https://docs.quay.io/issues/429.html
>
> Now I'm not sure about how many requests per seconds one can do vs the other but this would need to be checked with the quay team before changing anything.
> Also quay.io had its big downtimes as well, SLA needs to be considered.
>
>> 2. local container builds for each job in master, possibly ussuri
>

> Not convinced.
> You can look at CI logs:
> - pulling / updating / pushing container images from docker.io to local registry takes ~10 min on standalone (OVH)
> - building containers from scratch with updated repos and pushing them to local registry takes ~29 min on standalone (OVH).
>

>> 3. parent child jobs upstream where rpms and containers will be build and host artifacts for the child jobs
>

> Yes, we need to investigate that.
>

>> 4. remove some portion of the upstream jobs to lower the impact we have on 3rd party infrastructure.
>

> I'm not sure I understand this one, maybe you can give an example of what could be removed?

We need to re-evaulate our use of scenarios (e.g. we have two
scenario010's both are non-voting).  There's a reason we historically
didn't want to add more jobs because of these types of resource
constraints.  I think we've added new jobs recently and likely need to
reduce what we run. Additionally we might want to look into reducing
what we run on stable branches as well.