[neutron][networking-midonet] Maintainers needed

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 10:37:04 UTC 2020

Hi,

It’s been a while since I sent last message and ask if anyone wants to keep networking-midonet maintained in Neutron stadium.
I didn’t get any responses for that yet and as we are now in a week of Victoria-2 milestone it’s “final call” for new maintainers for this project.
Next week I will start sending patches to mark this project as deprecated in the same way as we did with neutron-fwaas in the U cycle.
So if You are using networking-midonet and You want to keep it in Neutron stadium, please reach out to me by email or on IRC.

> On 23 Jun 2020, at 09:25, Slawek Kaplonski <skaplons at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Over the past couple of cycles we have noticed that new contributions and
> maintenance efforts for networking-midonet project were lower and lower.
> This impacts patches for bug fixes, new features and reviews. The Neutron
> core team is trying to at least keep the CI of this project more or less
> healthy, but we don't have enough cycles and knowledge about the details of
> this project code base to review more complex patches.
>
> During the PTG in Shanghai we discussed that with operators and TC members
> during the forum session [1] and later within the Neutron team during the
> PTG session [2].
>
> During these discussions, with the help of operators and TC members, we reached
> the conclusion that we need to have someone responsible for maintaining project.
> This doesn't mean that the maintainer needs to spend full time working on this
> project. Rather, we need someone to be the contact person for the project, who
> takes care of the project's CI and review patches. Of course that'ss only a
> minimal requirement. If the new maintainer works on new features for the
> project, it's even better :)
>
> I recently spoke with members of current networking-midonet core team and they
> told me that they don't have cycles to focus on this project.
> So if we don't have any new maintainer(s) before milestone Victoria-2, which is
> Jul 27 - Jul 31 according to [3], we will need to mark networking-midonet
> as deprecated for removal.
> "Removal" means that in W cycle we will remove code of this project from its
> master branch and there will be no new releases of it. We will still keep code
> in stable branches which were already released until its EOL.
>
> So if You are using this project now, or if You have customers who are
> using it, please consider the possibility of maintaining it. Otherwise,
> please be aware that it is highly possible that the project will be
> deprecated and moved out from the official OpenStack projects.
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PVG-Neutron-stadium-projects-the-path-forward
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Shanghai-Neutron-Planning-restored - Lines 379-421
> [3] https://releases.openstack.org/victoria/schedule.html
>
> --