device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Jason Wang jasowang at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 02:11:24 UTC 2020

On 2020/7/20 下午6:39, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-07-20 at 11:41 +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>> On 2020/7/18 上午12:12, Alex Williamson wrote:

>>> Advantages, such as?
>>
>> My understanding for devlink(netlink) over sysfs (some are mentioned at
>> the time of vDPA sysfs mgmt API discussion) are:
> i tought netlink was used more a as a configuration protocoal to qurry and confire nic and i guess
> other devices in its devlink form requireint a tool to be witten that can speak the protocal to interact with.
> the primary advantate of sysfs is that everything is just a file. there are no addtional depleenceis
> needed

Well, if you try to build logic like introspection on top for a
sophisticated hardware, you probably need to have library on top. And
it's attribute per file is pretty inefficient.

>   and unlike netlink there are not interoperatblity issues in a coanitnerised env. if you are using diffrenet
> version of libc and gcc in the contaienr vs the host my understanding is tools like ethtool from ubuntu deployed
> in a container on a centos host can have issue communicating with the host kernel.

Kernel provides stable ABI for userspace, so it's not something that we
can't fix.

> if its jsut a file unless
> the format the data is returnin in chagnes or the layout of sysfs changes its compatiable regardless of what you
> use to read it.

I believe you can't change sysfs layout which is part of uABI. But as I
mentioned below, sysfs has several drawbacks. It's not harm to compare
between different approach when you start a new device management API.

Thanks