device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Jason Wang jasowang at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 03:41:47 UTC 2020

On 2020/7/18 上午12:12, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 16:32:30 +0800
> Yan Zhao <yan.y.zhao at intel.com> wrote:

>>> Are you aware of the devlink based device management interface that is
>>> proposed upstream? I think it has many advantages over sysfs, do you
>>> consider to switch to that?
>
> Advantages, such as?

My understanding for devlink(netlink) over sysfs (some are mentioned at
the time of vDPA sysfs mgmt API discussion) are:

- existing users (NIC, crypto, SCSI, ib), mature and stable
- much better error reporting (ext_ack other than string or errno)
- namespace aware
- do not couple with kobject

Thanks