device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 07:37:19 UTC 2020

Alex Williamson <alex.williamson at redhat.com> 于2020年7月15日周三 上午5:00写道:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 18:19:46 +0100
> "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > * Alex Williamson (alex.williamson at redhat.com) wrote:

> helps upper
> are
> the two.

> check
> triggering a real
> please don't

> device's
> (/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.0/$mdev_UUID/migration_version).
> source device,
> target device.

> not compatible:
> attribute

> device vendor
> "aggregator count".

> driver name to
> i915-v1-8086-591d-i915-GVTg_V5_8-1)
> > >
> > > It's very strange to define it as opaque and then proceed to describe
> > > the contents of that opaque string.  The point is that its contents
> > > are defined by the vendor driver to describe the device, driver
> version,
> > > and possibly metadata about the configuration of the device.  One
> > > instance of a device might generate a different string from another.
> > > The string that a device produces is not necessarily the only string
> > > the vendor driver will accept, for example the driver might support
> > > backwards compatible migrations.
> >
> > (As I've said in the previous discussion, off one of the patch series)
> >
> > My view is it makes sense to have a half-way house on the opaqueness of
> > this string; I'd expect to have an ID and version that are human
> > readable, maybe a device ID/name that's human interpretable and then a
> > bunch of other cruft that maybe device/vendor/version specific.
> >
> > I'm thinking that we want to be able to report problems and include the
> > string and the user to be able to easily identify the device that was
> > complaining and notice a difference in versions, and perhaps also use
> > it in compatibility patterns to find compatible hosts; but that does
> > get tricky when it's a 'ask the device if it's compatible'.
>
> In the reply I just sent to Dan, I gave this example of what a
> "compatibility string" might look like represented as json:
>
> {
>   "device_api": "vfio-pci",
>   "vendor": "vendor-driver-name",
>   "version": {
>     "major": 0,
>     "minor": 1
>   },

The OpenStack Placement service doesn't support to filtering the target
host by the semver syntax, altough we can code this filtering logic inside
scheduler filtering by python code. Basically, placement only supports
filtering the host by traits (it is same thing with labels, tags). The nova
scheduler will call the placement service to filter the hosts first, then
go through all the scheduler filters. That would be great if the placement
service can filter out more hosts which isn't compatible first, and then it
is better.

>   "vfio-pci": { // Based on above device_api
>     "vendor": 0x1234, // Values for the exposed device
>     "device": 0x5678,
>       // Possibly further parameters for a more specific match
>   },

OpenStack already based on vendor and device id to separate the devices
into the different resource pool, then the scheduler based on that to filer
the hosts, so I think it needn't be the part of this compatibility string.

>   "mdev_attrs": [
>     { "attribute0": "VALUE" }
>   ]
> }
>
> Are you thinking that we might allow the vendor to include a vendor
> specific array where we'd simply require that both sides have matching
> fields and values?  ie.
>
>   "vendor_fields": [
>     { "unknown_field0": "unknown_value0" },
>     { "unknown_field1": "unknown_value1" },
>   ]

Since the placement support traits (labels, tags), so the placement just to
matching those fields, so it isn't problem of openstack, since openstack
needn't to know the meaning of those fields. But the traits is just a
label, it isn't key-value format. But also if we have to, we can code this
scheduler filter by python code. But the same thing as above, the invalid
host can't be filtered out in the first step placement service filtering.