[octavia] Replace broken amphoras

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 00:04:16 UTC 2020

Hi Fabian,

Sorry you have run into trouble and we have missed you in the IRC channel.

Yeah, that transcript from three years ago isn't going to be much help.

A few things we will want to know are:
1. What version of Octavia are you using?
2. Do you have the DNS extension to neutron enabled?
3. When it said "unable to attach port to amphora", can you provide
the full error? Was it due to a hostname mismatch error from nova?

My guess is you ran into the issue where a port will not attach if the
DNS name doesn't match. Our workaround for that accidentally got
removed and re-added in https://review.opendev.org/#/c/663277/.

Replacing a vrrp_port is tricky, so I'm not surprised you ran into
some trouble. Can you please provide the controller worker log output
when doing a load balancer failover (let's not use amphora failover
here) on paste.openstack.org? You can mark it private and directly
reply to me if you have concerns about the log content.

All this said, I have recently completely refactored the failover
flows recently. This has already merged on the master branch and
backports are in process.

Michael