[qa][tempest] Update language in tempest code base

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jul 9 17:26:23 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-09 10:57:14 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> I always have hard time to understand the definition of 'outdated
> naming conventions' are they outdated from coding language
> perspective or outdated as English language perspective?
[...]

It's a recently popular euphemism for words which make people
uncomfortable. Unfortunately, rather than addressing the problem
head on and admitting that's the primary driver for the change, it
has become preferable to pretend that's not the impetus for
wholesale replacements of established terminology (often in an
attempt to avoid heated debate over the value of such changes).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's entirely reasonable to replace
words or phrases which make people uncomfortable, and in many cases
it's an opportunity to improve our terminology by using words which
have direct meaning rather than relying on computer science jargon
based on idiom and loose analogy. Even if this comes at the cost of
some engineering effort, it can be a long-term improvement.

But let's not kid ourselves, we're replacing words because they're
deemed offensive. It's disingenuous, even potentially insulting, to
imply otherwise.
--
Jeremy Stanley