[ops][cinder] festival of EOL - ocata and pike

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Thu Jul 9 16:27:21 UTC 2020

Hi,

Sorry for sticking my nose into this thread (again o:)), just a couple
of thoughts:
- we had a rough month with failing Devstack and Tempest (and other)
jobs, but thanks to Gmann and others we could fix most of the issues
(except Tempest in Ocata, that's why it is announced generally as
Unmaintained [0])
- this added some extra time to show a branch as unmaintained
- branches in extended maintenance are not that busy branches, but
still, I see some bugfix backports coming in even in Pike (in spite of
failing gate in the last month)
- Lee announced nova's Unmaintained state in the same circumstances, as
we just fixed Pike's devstack - and I also sent a reply that I will
continue to maintain nova's stable/pike as it is getting in a better
shape now

Last but not least: in cinder, there are "Zuul +1"d gate fixes both for
Pike [1] (and Queens [2]), so it's not that hopeless.

I don't want to keep a broken branch open in any cost, but does it cost
that much? I mean, if there is the possibility to push a fix, why don't
we let it happen? Right now Cinder Pike's gate seems working (with the
fix, which needs an approve [1]).

My suggestion is that let Pike still be in Extended Maintenance as it is
still have a working gate ([1]) and EOL Ocata as it was already about to
happen according to the mail thread [0], if necessary.

Also, please check the steps in 'End of Life' chapter of the stable
guideline [3] and let me offer my help if you need it for the transition.

Cheers,

Előd

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-May/thread.html#15112