Hardware requirement for OpenStack HA Cluster

Anil Jangam anilj.mailing at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 08:22:22 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I am looking for hardware requirements (CPU, RAM, HDD) for installing a
OpenStack HA cluster.
So far, I gathered few references:

   - This article talks about CPU and HDD, but they do not comment on RAM.
   -
      https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/openstack-ansible/ocata/overview-requirements.html
      - This article talks about CPU, RAM, and HDD, but it is quite old
   (2015) reference.
      -
      https://docs.huihoo.com/openstack/docs.openstack.org/ha-guide/HAGuide.pdf
      (Page 6)

I am considering the cluster with: 3 Controller (for HA) + 1 Compute + 1
Storage.

I have following questions:

   - What is the minimum hardware (CPU, RAM, HDD) requirement to install a
   OpenStack HA cluster?
   - Can we have 3 Controller nodes installed on 3 Virtual Machines or do
   we need 3 independent (bare metal) servers?
   - So in case of VM-based controllers, the cluster will be hybrid in
      nature.
      - I do not know if this is even possible and a recommended design.
      - Do we need the Platform Director node in addition to controller and
   compute/storage nodes?

Thanks in advance.
Anil.