[neutron][lbaas][octavia] How to implement health check using 100.64.0.0/10 network segments in loadbalancer?

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:20:46 UTC 2020

Hi Zhengyu,

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I'm going to take a guess.
Correct me if I am answering the wrong question.

First question I have is are you using the EOL neutron-lbaas or
Octavia? I will assume you are using Octavia.

When you add a member server (backend web server for example), you
have a few options:
1. If you create a member without the "subnet_id" option, the load
balancer will attempt to route to the member IP address over the VIP
subnet. Health monitor checks will also follow this route.
2. If, when you create the member, you specify the "subnet_id" option
to a valid neutron subnet, the load balancer will be attached to that
subnet and will route to the member IP address. If you do not specify
a "monitor_address", health monitoring will follow the same route as
the member IP address.
3. If you create a member, with the "monitor_address" specified,
traffic will be routed to the member IP address, but health monitoring
checks will be directed to the "monitor_address".

To give an example:
Say you have a neutron network 436f58c2-0454-49dc-888e-eaafdd178577
with a subnet of e6e46e02-7768-4ae4-89c6-314c34557b5d with CIDR
100.64.0.0/14 on it.

When creating the pool member is created you would specify something like:
openstack loadbalancer member create --address 100.64.100.5
--subnet-id e6e46e02-7768-4ae4-89c6-314c34557b5d --protocol-port 80
<pool ID>

This will attach the neutron network
436f58c2-0454-49dc-888e-eaafdd178577 to the load balancer and allocate
an IP address on 100.64.0.0/14 that will be used to contact the member
server address of 100.64.100.5. Health monitor checks will also follow
this same path to the member server.

We have some documentation for this in the cookbook here:
https://docs.openstack.org/octavia/latest/user/guides/basic-cookbook.html#deploy-a-basic-http-load-balancer-with-a-health-monitor

I hope this helps clarify,
Michael