[tripleo][validations] new Validation Framework demos

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 20:49:22 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM Mathieu Bultel <mbultel at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey TripleO,
>
> I have recorded three demos with the new Validation Framework (VF):
> 1st demo is similar to what Gael did few months ago but with the new code
> refactored (validations-libs/validations-common projects):
> https://asciinema.org/a/NRLULghjJa87qxRD9Nfq0FYoa
>
> 2nd demo is a use of the VF without any openstack/TripleO prerequisite,
> on a fresh and empty Ubuntu docker container, with only validations-libs
> and validations-common projects.
> It shows that only with a apt-get install git and python3-pip and with a
> basic python project installation we can run validations and use the
> framework:
>  https://asciinema.org/a/2Jp9LZbN0xhJAR09zIpI6OpuB
>
> So it can answer a few demands such as:
>     How to run validations as prep undercloud installation ?
>     How to run validations on a non-openstack project ?
>     What are the bare minimum requirements for being able to run
> Validations on a system ?        May I run Validation remotely from my
> machine ? etc...
>
> The third one is mainly related to the deployment itself of TripleO.
> By using a simple PoC (https://review.opendev.org/#/c/724289/), I was
> able to make TripleO consuming the validations-libs framework and
> validation logging callback plugin.
> So it shows in this demo how the deploy steps playbook can be logged,
> parsed and shown with the VF CLI. This can be improve, modify & so on of
> course... it's basic usage.
> https://asciinema.org/a/344484
> https://asciinema.org/a/344509
>
> Mathieu.

Thanks for posting these Mathieu!
This helps to visualize some of the topics discussed at the PTG.

I like a lot of what I see here and I can see the value it will bring.  I
have some minor questions about the format of the logs.. like each task has
TIMING in bold.  Silly stuff like that.  Looking forward to looking at this
more in depth.

Thank you!