[ironic] An approach to removing WSME

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 19:27:46 UTC 2020

Reply in-line.

Thanks for raising this discussion Steve!

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 1:27 AM Wang, Jerry A <jerry.a.wang at intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi Steve:
>
> Thanks for your great efforts for WSME replacement.
>
> I had a quick review for your code changes, see my comments below:
>
> Review
> Feedback
> Reason
> 704490
> Has concern
> move wsme code to ironic, types.py
> 704487
> Has concern
> move wsme code to ironic, node.py
> 704489
> has concern
> move wsme code to ironic, args.py
> 704486
> has concern
> move wsme code to ironic expose.py
> 703898
> Both positive and concern
> Positive, better code structure than original code, concern, more
> difficult to locate WSME code
> 704488
> has concern
> move wsme code to ironic
> 704485
> has concern
> Add pecan code, pecan would be replaced by flask
> 703897
> Positive
> Removed some WSME code with this change
> 703723
> Positive
> Removed some WSME code with this change
> 703695
> Positive
> Removed some WSME code with this change
>
> Firstly, I appreciated 3 changes which definately removed some wsme code,
> especially the change 703897.
>
> But I have some concerns for changes 704490, 704487, 704489, ...,  these
> changes seemed move WSME code into ironic, that would make ironic code base
> become a bit large, from my personal view, to use python built-in feature
> or other 3-party lib to replace WSME function would be better.  I like the
> way that code change 703897 did.

I guess I have two concerns.

1) Attribution and detailing the original source and licensing since the
import of code does seem to meet the word "substantial", least to my
perception.
2) I share the concern of importing code into ironic, and even adding
substantial amount of code that we would need to potentially maintain. If
my memory is recalling correctly, we wanted to move away from WSME in order
to reduce maintenance overhead since it is not being actively developed.

In the grand scheme of the universe, I am for us achieving our goals, and
if built-in tooling  or another third party library does not meet our
needs, then I feel like it makes sense.