Backup and restore questions

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:07:48 UTC 2020

Tony wrote:
> Is it possible to ... backup Openstack with version "X" and restore
> to different fresh deployment of the same version

Yes, this is definitely possible. I know some users of Kolla-Ansible
migrated their manual and other-deployment-tool-deployed
OpenStack-based clouds to use Kolla-Ansible.
This is certainly possible using the same version of services.
All the data is captured in the sql database (usually mysql).
Apart from custom config, this is the most important part to keep
backed up (and obviously your users' data in store :-) ).

Please read the following great (opinion mine) blog post by Pierre
Riteau from StackHPC, that nicely summarizes steps required for such
migration:
https://www.stackhpc.com/migrating-to-kolla.html

-yoctozepto