Updating Openstack from Pike non-containerised to something current

Tony Pearce tony.pearce at cinglevue.com
Wed Jan 22 08:16:37 UTC 2020

I decided to plan to upgrade to Queens using this guide to first upgrade
the undercloud to Queens:
https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/tripleo-docs/latest/post_deployment/upgrade/major_upgrade.html

The last step was "openstack undercloud upgrade". It seemed to go
successfully as I had success messages shown in the console. But when it
was running validation, my openstack overcloud controller dropped offline.
Looking at the console of the controller, I saw logs about network devices
leaving promiscuous mode, and was unable to get a login prompt to display.
The public subnet was not up, either. A reboot of the controller didnt
resolve the issue (thinking a service had an issue). So I restored the
system to an earlier state. On bootup, it took a long time to come up and
load networking. Now I am seeing a ton of console output on the controller
related to "net_ratelimit" and "IPv4 martian source" that I have not seen
before along with "33 callbacks suppressed". I am concerned this is
dropping traffic between instances.

My assumption is that the undercloud upgrade has somehow touched the
overcloud controller, but I can't understand how this could have occurred
just yet. I understood that the undercloud update wouldnt affect any
overcloud. Could anyone confirm if I am mistaken here?

*Tony Pearce*   |
*Senior Network Engineer / Infrastructure Lead**Cinglevue International
<https://www.cinglevue.com>*

Email: tony.pearce at cinglevue.com
Web: http://www.cinglevue.com

*Australia*
1 Walsh Loop, Joondalup, WA 6027 Australia.

Direct: +61 8 6202 0036 | Main: +61 8 6202 0024

Note: This email and all attachments are the sole property of Cinglevue
International Pty Ltd. (or any of its subsidiary entities), and the
information contained herein must be considered confidential, unless
specified otherwise.   If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
use or forward the information contained in these documents.   If you have
received this message in error, please delete the email and notify the
sender.