[nova] I would like to add another option for cross_az_attach

Kim KS kiseok7 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 06:09:35 UTC 2020

Hello, Brin and Matt.
and Thank you.

I'll tell you more about my use case:

* First, I create an instance(I'll call it NODE01) and a volume in same AZ.  (so I use 'cross_az_attach = False' option)
* and I create a cinder volume(I'll call it PV01) in different Volume Zone(I'll call it KubePVZone)
* and then I would like to attach PV01 volume to NODE01 instance.

KubePVZone is volume zone for kubernetes's persistent volume and NODE01 is a kubernetes' node.
KubePVZone's volumes can be attached to the other kubernetes's nodes.

So I would like to use options like:

    [cinder]
    cross_az_attach = False
    enable_az_attach_list = KubePVZone

Let me know if there is a lack of explanation.

I currently use the code by adding in to check_availability_zone method:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/058e77e26c1b52ab7d3a79a2b2991ca772318105/nova/volume/cinder.py#L534

+        if volume['availability_zone'] in CONF.cinder.enable_az_attach_list:
+            LOG.info("allowed AZ for attaching in different availability zone: %s",
+                 volume['availability_zone'])
+            return

Best,
Kiseok Kim