[all][tripleo][openstack-ansible] Openstack Ansible modules - the transition is in progress

Sagi Shnaidman sshnaidm at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 10:21:46 UTC 2020

Hi, all

I'm happy to inform you that the transition has started.

1. Transition steps are tracked in the etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-modules
2. Modules have been moved with ansible tool migrate.py according to
Ansible guidelines.
3. The job that does linting with ansible-test was created and added to
collections repo. Ansible-test sanity is used in Ansible CI for all
modules, I think it's worth to have it enabled for us too. As well as pep8
checks.
4. I've ported job that was running on Ansible Github PRs as CI job to be
check job in collections repo. It will give us at least the same coverage
we had before. Of course, it's a temporary solution that should be
revisited and most likely replaced by different kinds of jobs later. And
with much more test coverage that it has now.
So please review and merge: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703383/ Any
noncritical issues can be fixed in following up patches, let's unblock work
on collections, please.
5. The current CI job from SDK repo that was running on Ansible Github
patches is changed to print a message about moving modules and fail, not to
allow to merge new patches easily. The patch is
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703342/  Instead of it, the new ported job
from the previous point will run on SDK repo to ensure we don't break
modules with SDK patches.
6. As was agreed before we'll need to rename all modules, link to new names
in BOTMETA in Ansible and remove modules from Ansible repo. Renaming is a
big chunk of work, so I'd appreciate any help here. Of course, any work can
be merged only after CI job will be merged and start run on patches:
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703383/
7. I posted the warning message on all PRs in Ansible Github that has a
relation to Openstack modules, using "openstack" modules. Hopefully, it
didn't miss anything.
8. Warning mail will be sent today to Ansible dev Google Group about the
transition.
9. All discussions are in channel: #openstack-ansible-sig on Freenode.
10. Please help with reviews and merges as we want to do it asap to prevent
big diverges between modules in Ansible and Openstack, also not to block
people for a long time.

Thanks

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:20 PM Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Because a few patches were merged just recently [1] Seems like "freezing"
> doesn't really work.
> - python versions support in modules
> - keeping history when moving modules
> and other topics [2]
> Please add your questions to "Open discussion" section if there are some.
> Thanks
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/commits/devel/lib/ansible/modules/cloud/openstack
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-modules
>

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:00 AM Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all
>> short minutes from the meeting today about moving of Openstack Ansible
>> modules to Openstack.
>>
>> 1. Because of some level of uncertainty and different opinions, the
>> details of treatment of old modules will be under discussion in ML. I'll
>> send a mail about this topic.
>> 2. We agreed to have modules under "openstack." namespace and named
>> "cloud". So regular modules will be named like "openstack.cloud.os_server"
>> for example.
>> 3. We agreed to keep Ansible modules as thin as possible, putting the
>> logic into SDK.
>> 4. Also we will keep compatibility with as much Ansible versions as
>> possible.
>> 5. We agreed to have manual releases of Ansible modules as much as we
>> need. Similarly as it's done with SDK.
>>
>> Logs:
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_sig/2019/api_sig.2019-12-12-16.00.log.html
>> Minutes:
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_sig/2019/api_sig.2019-12-12-16.00.html
>> Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-modules
>>
>> Next time: Thursday 19 Dec 2019 4.00 PM UTC.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 12:03 AM Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all
>>> short minutes from the meeting today about Openstack Ansible modules.
>>>
>>> 1. Ansible 2.10 is going to move all modules to collections, so
>>> Openstack modules should find a new home in Openstack repos.
>>> 2. Namespace for openstack modules will be named "openstack.". What is
>>> coming after the dot is still under discussion.
>>> 3. Current modules will be migrated to collections in "openstack." as is
>>> with their names and will be still available for playbooks (via
>>> symlinking). It will avoid breaking people that use in their playbooks os_*
>>> modules now.
>>> 4. Old modules will be frozen after migrations and all development work
>>> will go in the new modules which will live aside.
>>> 5. Critical bugfixes to 2.9 versions will be done via Ansible GitHub
>>> repo as usual and synced manually to "openstack." collection. It must be a
>>> very exceptional case.
>>> 6. Migrations are set for mid of January 2020 approximately.
>>> 7. Modules should stay compatible with last Ansible and collections API
>>> changed.

--
Best regards
Sagi Shnaidman