[ironic][nova][neutron][cloud-init] Infiniband Support in OpenStack

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon Jan 20 08:39:43 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 15:34, Kumari, Madhuri <madhuri.kumari at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am trying to deploy a node with infiniband in Ironic without any success.
>

> The node has two interfaces, eth0 and ib0. The deployment is successful, node becomes active but is not reachable. I debugged and checked that the issue is with cloud-init. The cloud-init fails to configure the network interfaces on the node complaining that the MAC address of infiniband port(ib0) is not known to the node. Ironic provides a fake MAC address for infiniband ports and cloud-init is supposed to generate the actual MAC address of infiband ports[1]. But it fails[2] before reaching there.
>
> I have posted the issue in cloud-init[3] as well.
>

> Can someone please help me with this issue? How do we specify “TYPE=InfiniBand” from OpenStack? Currently the type sent is “phy” only.
>

> [1] https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/blob/master/cloudinit/sources/helpers/openstack.py#L686
>
> [2] https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/blob/master/cloudinit/sources/helpers/openstack.py#L677
>
> [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1857031

Hi Madhuri,

Please see my blog post:
https://www.stackhpc.com/bare-metal-infiniband.html. One major
question to ask is whether you want shared IB network or multi-tenant
isolation. The latter is significantly more challenging. It's probably
best if you read that article and raise any further questions here or
IRC. I'll be out of the office until Wednesday.

Mark