DR options with openstack

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Sat Jan 18 03:21:37 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:42 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2020-01-17 21:24:36 +0530 (+0530), Adam Peacock wrote:
> [...]
> > Also, we need to be clear not everyone leans towards being a
> > developer or even *wants* to go in that direction when using
> > OpenStack. In fact, most don't and if there is that expectation by
> > those entrenched with the OpenStack product, the OpenStack option
> > gets dropped in favor of something else. It's developer-friendly
> > but we need to be mega-mega-careful, as a community, to ensure
> > development isn't the baseline or assumption for adequate support
> > or to get questions answered. Especially since we've converged our
> > communication channels.
> [...]
>
> Most users probably won't become developers on OpenStack, but some
> will, and I believe its long-term survival depends on that so we
> should do everything we can to encourage it. Users may also
> contribute in a variety of other ways like bug reporting and triage,
> outreach, revising or translating documentation, and so on.
>
> OpenStack isn't a "product," it's a community software collaboration
> on which many companies have built products (either by running it as
> a service or selling support for it). Treating the community the way
> you might treat a paid vendor is where all of this goes to a bad
> place very quickly.

We've probably strayed a bit far away from the original topic, but I
echo this thought very much.

OpenStack is a project.  $your_favorite_vendor's OpenStack is a
product.  It's important for us to keep that distinction for the success
of both the project and vendors IMHO.

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872