[tc][infra] Splitting OpenDev out of OpenStack Governance

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Jan 17 17:35:37 UTC 2020

Hello,

About six weeks ago I kicked off a discussion on what the future of OpenDev's governance looks like [0]. I think we had expected part of this process would be to split OpenDev out of OpenStack's governance, but wanted to be sure we had a bit more of a plan before we made that official. After some discussion in this thread [0] I believe we now have enough of a plan to move forward on splitting out.

I've pushed a change [1] to the openstack/governance repo to make this official in git. I also wanted to make sure this change had some visibility so am sending this email too.

Now for some background. The OpenDev effort intends to make our software development tools and processes available to projects outside of the OpenStack itself. We have actually made these resources available since Stackforge, but one of the major concerns we hear over and over is the implication that a project hosted on our platforms is still "OpenStack". The next step to avoiding this confusion and better reflecting our goals is to formally remove OpenDev from OpenStack's governance. As mentioned in the original thread [0], OpenDev would still incorporate input from the OpenStack project as one of its users. We aren't going away and will continue to work closely together to meet OpenStack's needs. But now we'll formalize doing that with other projects as well.

Feedback is still welcome, though I ask people to read through the original thread [0] first. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help with this process.

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-infra/2019-December/006537.html
[1] https://review.opendev.org/703134

Clark