[ironic][nova][neutron][cloud-init] Infiniband Support in OpenStack

Kumari, Madhuri madhuri.kumari at intel.com
Fri Jan 17 15:31:17 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am trying to deploy a node with infiniband in Ironic without any success.

The node has two interfaces, eth0 and ib0. The deployment is successful, node becomes active but is not reachable. I debugged and checked that the issue is with cloud-init. The cloud-init fails to configure the network interfaces on the node complaining that the MAC address of infiniband port(ib0) is not known to the node. Ironic provides a fake MAC address for infiniband ports and cloud-init is supposed to generate the actual MAC address of infiband ports[1]. But it fails[2] before reaching there.
I have posted the issue in cloud-init[3] as well.

Can someone please help me with this issue? How do we specify "TYPE=InfiniBand" from OpenStack? Currently the type sent is "phy" only.

[1] https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/blob/master/cloudinit/sources/helpers/openstack.py#L686
[2] https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/blob/master/cloudinit/sources/helpers/openstack.py#L677
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1857031

Regards,