[qa][stable][tempest-plugins]: Tempest & plugins py2 jobs failure for stable branches (1860033: the EOLing python2 drama)

Bernard Cafarelli bcafarel at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 10:14:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 05:11, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2020-01-16 22:02:05 -0600 (-0600), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> [...]
> > Second option is to install the tempest and plugins in py3 env on
> > py2 jobs also. This should be an easy and preferred way.
> [...]
>
> This makes more sense anyway. Tempest and its plug-ins are already
> segregated from the system with a virtualenv due to conflicts with
> stable branch requirements, so hopefully switching that virtualenv
> to Python 3.x for all jobs is trivial (but I won't be surprised to
> learn there are subtle challenges hidden just beneath the surface).

That sounds good for supported releases. Once we have them back in working
order, I wonder how it will turn out for queens.
In neutron, there is a recent failure [1] as this EM branch now uses a
pinned version of the plugin. The fix there is most likely to also pin
tempest - to queens-em [2] but then will also require some fix for
the EOLing python2 drama.

As tempest is branchless, it looks like if we want to keep
neutron-tempest-plugin tests for queens we will rather need solution 1 for
this branch? (but let's focus first on getting the supported branches back
in working order)

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1859988
[2] https://review.opendev.org/702868

--