[tripleo] Switch to tripleo-container-manage by default (replacing Paunch)

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 15:42:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM Carter, Kevin <kevin at cloudnull.com> wrote:

> Nicely done Emilien!
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:38 AM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> The most popular question that has been asked about $topic so far is: how
>> can I run paunch debug to print the podman commands.
>> Answer:
>> https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-ansible/latest/roles/role-tripleo-container-manage.html#check-mode

I just thought about it but I thought we could have a tripleo command like :

$ openstack tripleo container deploy --name keystone --host
overcloud-controller1
$ openstack tripleo container deploy --name keystone --host
overcloud-controller1 --dry-run

It would use the new Ansible-runner to execute something like:
https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-ansible/latest/roles/role-tripleo-container-manage.html#example-with-one-container
Dry-run would basically run the same thing with Ansible in check mode.

In overall, we would still have a CLI (in tripleoclient instead of Paunch);
and most of the container logic resides in podman_container which aims to
be shared outside of TripleO which has been the main goal driving this
effort.
What do you think?
--
Emilien Macchi