[deployment][kolla][tripleo][osa][docs] Intro to OpenStack

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:19:20 UTC 2020

Hiya, Folks!

I had some thought after talking with people new to OpenStack - our
deployment tools are too well-hidden in the ecosystem.
People try deploying devstack for fun (and some still use packstack!)
and then give up on manual installation for production due to its
complexity and fear of upgrades.
I also got voices that Kolla/TripleO/OSA (order random) is an
"unofficial" way to deploy OpenStack and the installation guide is the
only "official" one (whatever that may mean in this very context).

So I decided I go the "newbie" route and inspected the website.
https://www.openstack.org invites us to browse:
https://www.openstack.org/software/start/
which is nice and dandy, presents options of enterprise-grade solutions etc.
but fails to really mention OpenStack has deployment tools (if one
does not look at the submenu bar) and instead points the "newbie" to
the installation guide:
https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/overview.html
which kind-of negates that OpenStack ecosystem has any ready tools of
deployment by saying:
"After becoming familiar with basic installation, configuration,
operation, and troubleshooting of these OpenStack services, you should
consider the following steps toward deployment using a production
architecture: ...
Implement a deployment tool such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or Salt to
automate deployment and management of the production environment."

Just some food for thought.

Extra for Kolla and OSA:
https://docs.openstack.org/train/deploy/
seems we no longer deploy OpenStack since Train.

-yoctozepto