[all] DevStack jobs broken due to setuptools not available for Python 2

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jan 13 14:43:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-13 15:16:58 +0100 (+0100), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> It turned out to be real mess to fix devstack and devstack-gate
> and whatever else could be impacted. The current goal is to get
> rid of setuptools wheel so that it does not interfere in Zuul. As
> more packages go py3-only we will be forced to generate proper
> metadata in HTML indices...
[...]

Yes, pardon me as I'm still catching up. Based on what I've read so
far, the PyPI simple API provides some additional information with
its package indices indicating which Python releases are supported
by a given package. Our wheel cache is just being served from Apache
with mod_autoindex providing basic indexing of the files, so does
not have that information to provide.

We've discussed a number of possible solutions to the problem. One
option is to (temporarily) stop using the pre-built wheel cache, but
that presupposes that it doesn't do much for us in the first place.
That cache is there to provide pre-built wheels for packages which
otherwise take a *very* long time to build from sdist and for which
there is on usable wheel on PyPI (at least for the platforms on
which we're running our jobs).

Another option is to stop unnecessarily copying wheels already
available on PyPI into that cache. It's used as a sieve, so that
jobs can pull wheels from it when they exist but will still fall
back to PyPI for any the cache doesn't contain. I suspect that the
majority of projects dropping compatibility with older Python
releases publish usable wheels for our platforms on PyPI already, so
their presence in our cache is redundant. We could remove the latest
Setuptools release from the wheel-mirror volume as a short-term
solution, but will need to temporarily stop further updates to the
cache since the job which builds it would just put that file right
back.
--
Jeremy Stanley