[all] DevStack jobs broken due to setuptools not available for Python 2

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 06:05:54 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 07:20:27PM +0100, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> I noticed DevStack jobs fail all over the place [1] due to:
> UnsupportedPythonVersion: Package 'setuptools' requires a different
> Python: 2.7.17 not in '>=3.5'

I think there's a wide variety of things going on here.

Firstly, I think pip should be not be trying to install this ... you
clearly felt the same thing and have filed [1] where it seems that it
might be due to the wheels we create not specifying
"data-requires-python" in our links to the wheel.  This is the first
I've heard of this ... we will need to look into this wrt to our wheel
building and I have filed [2].

The plain "virtualenv" call that sets up the requirements virtualenv
should be using Python 3 I think; proposed in [3].  This would avoid
the issue by using python3 on master.

The other places calling "virtualenv" appear to be related to
TRACK_DEPENDS, which I think we can remove now to avoid further
confusion.  Proposed in [4]

However, this leaves devstack-gate which is used by grenade.  I
*think* that [5] will work if the older branch of devstack also
installs with python3.

The short answer is, yes, this is a big mess :/

-i

[1] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/7586#issuecomment-573460206
[2] https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2007084
[3] https://review.opendev.org/702162