[release] making releases fast again (was: decentralising release approvals)

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Jan 9 17:01:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:04:36AM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Mark Goddard wrote:
> > [...]
> > As kolla PTL and ironic release liaison I've proposed a number of
> > release patches recently. Generally the release team is good at churning
> > through these, but sometimes patches can hang around for a while.
> > Usually a ping on IRC will get things moving again within a day or so
> > (thanks in particular to Sean who has been very responsive).
>
> I agree we've seen an increase in processing delay lately, and I'd like to
> correct that. There are generally three things that would cause a
> perceptible delay in release processing...
>
> 1- wait for two release managers +2
>
> This is something we put in place some time ago, as we had a lot of new
> members and thought that would be a good way to onboard them. Lately it
> created delays as a lot of those were not as active.
>
> 2- stable releases
>
> Two subcases in there... Eitherthe deliverable is under stable policy and
> there are *significant* delays there as we have to pause to give a chance to
> stable-maint-core people to voice an opinion. Or the deliverable is not
> under stable policy, but we do a manual check on the changes, as a way to
> educate the requester on semver.
>
> 3- waiting for PTL/release liaison to approve
>
> That can take a long time, but the release management team is not really at
> fault there.

Coming back to hopefully wrap this up...

We discussed this in today's release team meeting and decided to make some
changes to hopefully make things a little smoother. We will now use the
following guidelines for reviewing and approving release requests:

For releases in the current development (including some time for the previous
cycle for the release-trailing deliverables) we will only require a single
reviewer. If everything looks good and there are no concerns, we will +2 and
approve the release request without waiting for a second. If the reviewer has
any doubts or hesitation, they can decide to wait for a second reviewer, but
this should be a much less common situation.

For stable releases, we will require two +2s. We will not, however, wait for a
designated day for stable team review. If we can get one, all the better, but
the normal release team should be aware of stable rules and look for them for
any stable release request. Keeping the requirement for two reviewers should
help make sure nothing is overlooked with stable policy.

We do still want PTL/liaison +1 to appove, so we will continue to wait for
that. Thierry is working on some job automation to make checking for that a
little easier, so hopefully that will help make that process as smooth as
possible.

If there are any other questions or concerns, please do let us know.

Sean