Train release notes: deprecated option show_multiple_locations missing?

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 14:01:46 UTC 2020

On 2/27/20 5:55 AM, Eugen Block wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently evaluating our new OpenStack environment (Train), testing
> the usual scenarios. In the past I've had issues with nova and rbd
> backend, when the compute nodes used to download rbd images just to
> re-import them back to the ceph cluster instead of simply cloning an image.
>
> The cause was the show_multiple_locations option that was marked
> deprecated since Pike but in fact it's still necessary. The release
> notes of Pike, Queens, Rocky and Stein all mention that the workaround
> is still required:
>
>> The show_multiple_locations configuration option remains deprecated in
>> this release, but it has not been removed. > (It had been scheduled
>> for removal in the Pike release.) Please keep a watch on the Glance
>> release notes and the > glance-specs repository to stay informed about
>> developments on this issue.
>
> The Train release notes don't mention this option anymore but my tests
> show that it's still required to avoid unnecessary rbd exports/imports.

You are correct, the option has not been removed and the workaround is
still required.

> Maybe the release notes for Train should be updated to cover this issue.
> In case I missed any further information that already addresses this I
> apologize.

No, you didn't miss anything.  We didn't include anything in the Train
release notes because there was nothing new to report, and we didn't
want to clutter up the release notes with a non-announcement.  In
retrospect, though, it might have been a good idea to continue the
series of non-announcements.